WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




7/24/08

DAY 85: Mon., Jul.21: 35.1 miles: TOTAL 1785.3

Coordinates: 42 deg. 09'971" N; 122 deg. 27'832" W: Well this has been an interesting day. I hike out of Hyatt Lake and maintain a consistent elevation for 35 miles. This section is described as the Oregon desert. However, it is not really a desert but a very dry stretch of land created by volcanic activity eons ago. I'm walking on soft ash-like ground among scrawny lodgepole pines. There are pieces of light-colored volcanic rock and pumice everywhere.

The PCT crosses and intersects numerous other trails winding here and there, making it very difficult to know for sure that I am on the right trail. The most important piece of gear I'm carrying is my Garmin eTrex GPS. I suppose I could hike the PCT without it but I wouldn't want to try. I can't believe it but as I get ready to camp for the night, it's beginning to rain. This is the first rain I've had since Half Dome at Yosemite National Park, and that was only a brief light rain shower. I'll be setting up my tent and bedding down because it looks like I may be in for quite a downpour.
Keep hiking,
Greybeard

No comments: