WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




4/29/14

Flying Squirrels

Flying Squirrels
I met a young couple today as I was cutting logs for future water bars and steps to be installed later in the season. They had just photographed a flying squirrel in flight, which is gliding from one tree to another. A sighting I have not had in 12 seasons as Ridgerunner in the Smokies.  I had never seen these nocturnal animals, but one other time in my lifetime of 73 years and enjoyed the photo. At night I have seen their little red eyes glowing high up in trees back home in Kentucky.
   Only one time had I spotted several up in a dead tree while hiking our woods above our house in Fairdale, Kentucky 15 years ago.   My wife and I were enjoying a pleasant summer afternoon, taking in the wildlife on beautiful sunny day.
A friend used to say if you retain just one little golden nugget from his Sunday school class then all his studying and preparation was worth it. I feel that way as I hike along daily in the Smokies, or anywhere, as a Ridgerunner or just hiking on a quiet nature path.  A chance sighting of a big owl sleeping in a tree, a coyote trotting through the woods, a bear on its back sleeping, or a big
Pileated woodpecker making that hollow sound while searching for bugs in a dead tree or a huge raven gliding into a tree near you; these are some of those golden nuggets like that little flying squirrel so seldom seen.
   If you notice looking for the picture of a squirrel, there is none. I am sorry to say that I inadvertently erased the email sent to me for this blog and I do hope the young couple who graciously sent it to me will do so a second time and I will try again.
Keep Hiking,
Carl, aka Greybeard

No comments: