WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




8/25/08

SPECIAL THANKS TO THIRD PARTY TRAIL ANGELS


Since early August, my wife, Shirley, has been supporting me along the final miles of this PCT journey and on behalf of the mission of raising funds for Home of the Innocents. www.homeoftheinnocents.org
We could not have made this happen without the loving support of our new friends, Jill Yang (photo #2) and her daughter, Diya, in Seattle, and Joyce and Jack Fiel (photo #1) from Bellingham, WA. These two families became trail angels, not by visiting the trailheads, but by opening their home to Shirley and me on behalf of our mission for the Home. While I was hiking through Southern Washington, Shirley has been welcomed into Jill's home. Then Joyce and Jack opened their home to us this weekend while I completed the final 69 miles into Canada.

Sunday night, after 119 days in the wilderness, Joyce and Jack invited this old hiker, Roadrunner, and Naughty Eyes into their lovely home to help us reenter the 'valley of reality'. They fed us watermelon, ice cream and Snicker Doodle cookies. Then this morning we feasted on a true hiker breakfast. What a welcome home!
Thank you new friends!
Greybeard

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Carl

Jim C

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Carl. You amaze me!

Julie Soule Kroger

Unknown said...

Great job Carl! I really enjoyed following along on your journey.

Take care,
Matt Davis
Detroit Lakes, MN

Anonymous said...

Way to go Carl. It sure was exciting to read your blogs everyday it almost felt like I was there! I don't know what I'm going to do now that your finished.

Congrats on a fantastic journey!! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Anonymous said...

I miss you Dad! We are all so proud of you! What a exhausting and monumental journey! Can't wait to see you! Way 2 go! You're the man! Love - A

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I know the rain was not fun, but overcoming it and finishing strong is a great accomplishment.

I kept keeping track of you through registers and tried to close the gap, but ended up finishing a few days behind (august 27th)..

hope you're enjoying being back home. I know I am.

~ Gopher

Ted said...

Carl
I love it, I did the Muir Trail, over 50 years ago. I'm too old now but I can dream. I have a link to this blog on my site: www.campingsierra.com
Best Wishes
Ted