WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




8/7/08

DAY 101, Weds.,Aug 6., 31.7 miles: TOTAL 2155.1






GOODBYE OREGON - HELLO WASHINGTON - ONLY 508.4 MILES TO GO!
Started out this morning from Lolo Pass 18 miles north of Mt. Hood. Coordinates: 45 deg 25'592" N, 121 deg 47'744" W.
Hiked all day with a light daypack (thanks to the car support from my sweet wife). I'm meeting her at the Bridge of the Gods on the Washington side of the Columbia River. The route that I am taking is on the Eagle Creek Trail (the same number of miles of the PCT) but it is a famous hike through the Columbia Gorge area and I am excited about the upcoming views.

And what views! The Eagle Creek trail is one beautiful hike. The trail winds down to Indian Springs fork of the creek and traverses up and around Tunnel Falls - a 150 foot drop (photo #2) into the pool below. I walked through a tunnel BEHIND (photo #3) the falls - the tunnel was blasted out to make way for the trail. Then there is a bridge over Eagle Creek to an overlook and Punch Bowl Falls. This was worth taking the altenate route.
Photo # 4: I'm walking over the Bridge of the Gods, between Oregon and Washington, over the Columbia River. Canada - here I come.
Keep hiking,
Greybeard

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That water looks cold, but beautiful.
When I tell people in my unit (most of which are going to Afghanistan) what you are doing they look at me like you're crazy...that makes me proud. Good luck on the push home. We are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That's quite a drop DAD! Be careful out there. God is with you.

Anna