WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




7/26/08

DAY 89, Jul.25,Fri.,31.2 miles: TOTAL 1889.9 TWO-THIRDS OF THE WAY

I must have walked into "mosquitoville" Oregon. The data book describes a stagnant pool. That's probably where the swarm lives. The bloodsuckers are so bad I literally had to put on long pants and my long-sleeved shirt in order to even set up my tent. Then I just dove into the tent as fast as I could. Even then at least 100 mosquitoes followed me inside. It took several minutes to kill all of them. I've run out of Deet and haven't been able to purchase any at any of the camp supply stops. Coordinates for the evening and my rescue from the mosquitos outside are: 43 deg 26'055" N, 122 deg. 06'047" W.

Well, enough complaining. I am two-thirds of the way to Canada. Soon I will reach another milestone - the 2000 mile mark. So far, Oregon lends itself to big mileage days and breath-taking views.
Keep hiking,
Greybeard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad - The bloodsuckers are quite a menace - so sorry about that. We will send some deet ASAP! Loving the pictures - miss you a bunch - about 40 days left! Love you - A