WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




7/12/08

DAY 76, Sat.July 12: on my way to Castella, CA

Yeah! I have cell service. Shirley and I talked at 1pm today. I filled her in on the scenary I have enjoyed for the past several days, namely Mt. Shasta. Mt. Shasta is a huge volcano (the second largest mountain in the Cascade Range) and has dominated the view from the trail for miles. It seems that the trail has wound around the base of the mountain for 75 or 100 miles - yet we have not climbed it. Mt. Shasta is only 40 (road) miles from the California / Oregon state line.

This morning was cool and not too long after breaking camp, I came across a super guy named Dave who was fly fishing. Immediately, he offered me a "cold" pepsi, "cold" yogurt and yummy danish pastries. What a way to enjoy the morning - thank you Dave!

I'm heading out toward Castella where I will be picking up another "care" package and taking a well-needed zero day in Dunsmuir, CA. I hear there are several restaurants there. Food, showers, laundry, food!
Keep hiking,
Greybeard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, Dunsmuir does have several restaurants. If you like asian/Thai food, give Sengthong's a try. Everthing in Dunsmuir is easy to find. Sengthong's is right on Dunsmuir Avenue a bit north and across the street from the sheriff's station. Enjoy your visit here and good good luck on the rest of your journey!