WELCOME

Thank you for logging on. It is hoped that you will enjoy reading about our outdoor experiences from the Appalachian Trail in the East to the Pacific Crest Trail in the West and everything in between. If you have questions about Carl's gear or need information on backcountry hiking, the AT and/or PCT, don't hesitate to email either one of us: sgoodman5815@gmail.com or goodmanATRidgerunner@gmail.com.




5/9/08

DAY 14, Fri., May 9, 21.1 mile day. TOTAL 265.3

Well the miles today were a little cooler. We hiked among massive Jeffery Pines and other trees that I don't know the names of. Some of them were larger than the trees in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. The elevation of the trail today hovered around 8,100 ft and then we descended down to 6800 to Big Bear City around 90 miles east of Los Angeles.

I picked up mail at the Post Office and called my daughter Anna to thank her for the cute birthday card she sent me. Also, got a package from my Shirley.

Will enjoy taking a shower and sleeping in a bed tonight. I may get a chance to check email tomorrow.

I've decided that I am going to slow my pace down so I can enjoy this experience more. The blisters on my heels are healing up but the desert heat makes hiking 20 plus miles day after day very difficult. Will send photos as soon as possible.
Keep hiking,
Greybeard

6 comments:

whydidisignup said...

hey papaw its austin i just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing. im fine here im makong good grades i think i have all A's but im not sure. well i love you

austin

Anonymous said...

We're all glad you got a shower! -anna

Jake Starr said...

Keep up the hiking and just watch your pace...I know how you feel. I ran the 10miler and the mini-marathon with a stress fracture...when you get back we can all go skydiving....

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear your hike is goind good so far Carl! We wish you nothing but blue skies and sunny (but not too hot) days!

Matt & Stacy Davis
Detroit Lakes, MN

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl, just wanted to let you know that you are doing awesome! You
are fortunate to be able to do something that most people only dream about doing. I'm sure your getting an amazing first hand encounter with the awesome creation God has made, and get to talk to him without all of the distractions of everyday life. God Bless! See you soon, Joey

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl, watching your blog every day. great pics. Looking forward to seeing more. Great job! Were all pulling for you and thinking about you every day. If you have cell service give me a call, would love to hear from you. Barry